Board Meeting Minutes

Board Meetings are usually held at 7:00pm at the Crossfield Municipal Library on the third Wednesday of January, February, March, April, May, June, September, October and November.  All meetings are open to the public, and the most recent approved meeting minutes will be posted here.  (Previous meeting's minutes can be viewed in person at the Library).  For any date changes, please check the calendar on the Library website at the top of the right hand column.
 

December 3, 2017 Minutes - Approved
Crossfield Municipal Library Board Budget Meeting
December 3, 2017
Location: Lisa McNeil’s Home
 
In attendance: Ken Gosling, Janice Graham, Lisa McNeil, Brenda Rosvick, and Jo Tennant
Absent: Lorea Anderson, Val Palmer, and Glenn Price
 
Called to order at 2:10 pm
 
2018 Budget
-          we will have ~$15,000 to carry forward
o   donations from Dream Developments and Wawanesa for the new building covered some furniture and computer costs
-          there will be a panic button installed so we can have single staffing for portions of the day
-          MOTION by Lisa for in camera discussion for budget discussion 2:17 pm
o   VOTES all in favour
-          MOTION by Ken to end in camera 3:34 pm
o   VOTES all in favour
-          MOTION by Ken to change library staffing as discussed, effective January 1, 2018
o   VOTES all in favour
-          part of the budget reduction is to adjust janitorial service cleaning to twice a month
-          MOTION by Jo that she will prepare letters to all staff on behalf of the Board regarding the staffing changes we decided to make
o   VOTES all in favour
-          MOTION by Jo to include a written reminder of meeting processes to be place in personnel file
o   VOTES all in favour
 
Meeting adjourned at 4:25 pm. Next meeting will be on January 17, 2018.
 
 
Treasurer’s Reportsubmitted by Brenda Rosvick (originally for November 22, 2017 meeting)
Attached is a revised budget 2018
-          utilities are increased based off of Oct bill, and janitor is decreased as we will reduce from weekly cleaning but not yet sure by how much
-          Programs now matches FCSS + Rec board funding; we will look at reductions to programs if we don't get all the funding
-          wages budget is shown differently.  Rather than have the wages for current hours as the budget amount, the library budget is balanced with $88K left for wages.  Decisions need to be made on how to meet that budget (is an Agenda item).  See attached Wages chart, showing the costs with the current hours, and the reduction in costs with different scenarios.

November 22 2017 Minutes - Approved
Crossfield Municipal Library Board Meeting
November 22, 2017
Location: Library Board Room
 
In attendance: Lorea Anderson, Ken Gosling, Janice Graham, Lisa McNeil, Val Palmer, Glenn Price, Brenda Rosvick, and Jo Tennant
 
Called to order at 7:24 pm.
MOTION by Janice to accept Agenda, VOTES all in favour
 
MOTION by Brenda to accept November 1 Minutes, VOTES all in favour
 
Librarian’s Report
-          we need to think of who can clear snow right up to the doors
-          Town does main sidewalk and back parking lot
-          does this become assigned duties for an employee?
 
Town Report
-          we need to transfer the Children’s Room in the old building back to Golden Key Club
-          they have sent us a bill for $240 for rent for November and December because we still have some bookshelves in there
o   Ken Bosman and Jo Tennant to meet with them
-          Chamber is looking for a rental agreement
o   we have to figure out if the agreement needs to be with us, with Town, or a three-way agreement
 
2018 Budget
-          MOTION by Brenda for in camera discussion for budget discussion 7:47 pm
o   VOTES all in favour
-          Val and Lorea left meeting at 9:11 pm
-          MOTION by Lisa to end in camera 10:02 pm
o   VOTES all in favour
-          Jo to find out from Town about requirements for double staffing and leftover Building Reserve
-          MOTION by Brenda that we adjust vacation pay as discussed
o   VOTES all in favour
 
Meeting adjourned at 10:08 pm. Next meeting to be confirmed by email.
 
Submitted Reports
Programs Reportsubmitted by Brenda Rosvick
-          FCSS application dropped off to Town Nov 17, asking for $8000 to help cover all Programs except Summer Reading Program
-          Rec Board Oct application
o   the library was not successful in securing funding this round
o   Eris spoke to Brenda and the Rec Board suggests that AGLS apply for Storyhour
o   Brenda is following up on logistics before we change anything; we need to have guidance by January, so we are set up at the start of the year. (Would AGLS need to pay bills directly, or can the Library can still pay and AGLS repay the library?  Would Karen need to be under AGLS?  Would she be on payroll or back to honorarium?) 
o   Once more is known, both the Library and AGLS boards will have to make decisions
 
 
Librarian’s Reportsubmitted by Lorea Anderson
Number of books (Oct)                                   2041 (579 less than Sept)
Number of patrons (Oct)                                  986 (49 more than Sept)
Number of computer users (Oct)                     106 (39 less than Sept)
Number of memberships sold to date               652 active
            Since October 16, 96 renewals, 83 new memberships
*Only open 14 days in October due to the move
 
New Library
Our new signs and moulding have been added to the exterior of the building. RISE equipment has been installed and we have wifi upstairs now as well as downstairs. 
 
Some items remain outstanding: Airdrie Glass still has not sent an estimate on glass replacement for the broken windows and the doors. I spoke to Russ and he says they are waiting on a supplier for a quote. The Chamber has sent me their logo that they would like to have as their signage on the front and back doors. I had thought that given the other existing signage that perhaps our logo would be sufficient as well.
 
I have tried to contact Mark regarding his scheduling of removing existing cabinetry in the old children’s room and the minor furniture adjustments we need, but he is not responding to emails and no one has been at the shop when dropping by.
 
The biggest problem we are currently having is with maintaining the exterior of the building and property. Town includes us in the sidewalk sweep they do up front, but snow removal in the rear seems to have stopped completely. Additionally, we are responsible for shoveling snow up out of the basement stairwell, off of the fire escape and from the handicapped parking stall to the back door. This is beyond the abilities of pretty much anyone but Kain, and he is only on for 3 shifts a week.
 
Grand Opening
102 people attended our event. 
 
 
Treasurer’s Reportsubmitted by Brenda Rosvick
-          completed online survey for Statistics Canada, reporting preliminary costs for 2017 and estimate for2018 for Capital Expenditures (mandatory survey for the last five years)
-          Lorea approved $200 to Brenda for the bookmarks, sax-playing reindeer, stuffies, and hanging file folders; Brenda donated this back at the Grand Opening, and also donated back the cost for the cakes, coffee cups, and vases ($69)
-          Carmen donated $200 towards the cost of the food; Jo dropped off the excess food trays at the lodge
-          Attached is a list of Donations/Fundraising we had put aside for the New Library ($44K) and the Donations-in-kind so far ($39K).  Letters/emails for donations-in-kind are with the minutes
o   Dream Development $10,200 for furniture and the move and storage of it
o   CP Wood Gallery $12,400 for their volunteer labour
o   Marigold for $8750 worth of IT services
o   We have over $4300 value for volunteer hours during the moves (QEII clean out and then the move to the new location).
 

Attached is the Nov YTD.  2017 items are divided between Building vs non-building, to provide a clearer picture of our cash flow left for 2017
-          Town is covering utility bills until the doors are fixed (Oct bill was $481)
-          Town will cover the cost for the temporary SHAW Internet (cost is unknown until the next bill)
-          We have $16K left in the non-building income, leaving us on budget for 2017
-          We have $31K left from the building income.  Some is needed for the remaining invoices and things left to be done.  Because we got the furniture donated (budgeted $15K), Jo is checking with Town to see if we can carry this forward to our 2018 budget (specifically wages so we can delay reducing hours until late spring)
 
Attached is a revised budget 2018.
-          utilities are increased based off of Oct bill, and janitor is decreased as we will reduce from weekly cleaning but not yet sure by how much
-          Programs now matches FCSS + Rec board funding; we will look at reductions to programs if we don't get all the funding
-          wages budget is shown differently.  Rather than have the wages for current hours as the budget amount, the library budget is balanced with $88K left for wages.  Decisions need to be made on how to meet that budget (is an Agenda item).  See attached Wages chart, showing the costs with the current hours, and the reduction in costs with different scenarios.
 
Additional agenda item > 'Discussions on Vacation Pay'
1.      A decision is needed on paying back missed vacation pay (VP).  I was to advise Town when milestone anniversaries were reached; I thought it was automatically done in the payroll system.  At five years VP increases from 4% to 6%, per Alberta Payroll Standards.  Legally we are obligated to go back two years, which is about $450.   How far back does the board want to pay back the missed VP?
2.      A decision is needed for VP increases at 10 years.  The library follows Alberta Payroll of 6% (15 days) after 5 years, with no further increases.  The board can change our policy to give 8% at ten years or leave as-is.
 
An item for the January agenda, but something for all to think about: Sponsorship
-          Ken was going to ask the drugstore if they would donate the water for the fountain.  I asked him to hold off on that idea until the idea of sponsorship is fully explored.  We could do a "sponsorship drive" to see if we could find other business' as well to cover some costs. We would need to put a cost to things, to include in a letter. So not only the water, but costs for beverage centers, printing and stationery, postage, magazines, programs, specifics like the laptop counter we want Mark to build, etc. Please think of business' from Town that would make a good fit to any of the Expense categories in our budget.